Can't remember where I originally got this. Don't be afraid of the turkey! To me, it tastes better than ground beef. I love these burgers. I'm a huge condiment fan and I don't think these need any.
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, diced
12 oz. lean ground turkey
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup chopped onions
2/3 cup salsa (plus more for topping, if desired)
1 T. canola oil
1 cup green-leaf lettuce (for topping, if desired)
4-6 English muffins or whole-wheat bagels, split and toasted
1. In a large bowl, combine egg white, cheese, turkey, salt, kidney beans, breadcrumbs, onion, and salsa and mix thoroughly.
2. Divide the mixture and form 4-6 patties.
3. Tuck any pieces of cheese into the burgers with your fingertips to prevent scorching.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
5. Add burgers and cook 6-7 minutes per side or until cooked through. (Be careful when flipping, because they have a tendency to fall apart a bit.)
6. Serve on English muffins or bagels with desired toppings.