This recipe comes from my Aunt Michelle who lives in Kona and my cousin Rachel. Definitely a traditional luau fare, but much easier than roasting a pig underground!
2 TBSP ginger (grated)
1/4 Cup Liquid Smoke
Rock Salt/Sea Salt Crystals
1 Cup Chicken Broth
Chopped Cabbage (optional)
1. Brown the outside of the meat using your favorite seasoning salt (optional, I didn't).
2. Mix liquid smoke and ginger together and rub into the meat.
3. Then rub meat with salt.
4. Place meat in crock pot and pour in remaining liquid smoke mixture and chicken broth.
5. Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.
6. Add salt as necessary.
7. When ready to serve, separate from the bone and pull apart, removing any visible fat.
8. Mix in cabbage and serve over rice.
Hint: The real flavor comes from the liquid smoke and the rock/sea salt so be generous with both.