Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

This is a slight modification of a recipe from Allrecipes.com. You could probably cook the noodles in the pot, but I ran out of room since I doubled the recipe. I just added them at the end, which worked for me. I also used whole-wheat egg noodles and I thought they worked great. Additionally, I added a little bit more carrots and celery than called for because, why not, right? Apparently the soup freezes well if you don't add the noodles in, but I can't vouch for that.

Ingredients:
1 T. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 tea dried basil
1/2 tea dried oregano
4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
1/2 pound chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded
1 1/2 cups egg noodles

Directions:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
2. Cook onion and garlic about 2 minutes.
3. Add celery and carrots and cook about 3 minutes.
4. Add basil and oregano and stir.
5. Pour in chicken and vegtable broths and stir.
6. Add chicken and stir.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Mix in noodles and serve.

No comments: