1 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
6 T. butter
2 ounces semisweet chocolate (or 1/3 c. chocolate chips)
1 c. sugar (2/3 c. and 1/3 c. added separately)
3 T. plus 1/3 c. Dutch-processed cocoa
1 T. vanilla extract
¼ t. salt
1/3 c. milk
1 egg yolk
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 ½ c. hot water
1. Coat the inside of a 2 ½-5 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. (Note: the cake’s cooking time and final appearance will vary with crock pot size.)
2. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter and chocolate on the stove or in the microwave.
4. Whisk together 2/3 c. sugar, 3 T. cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk and egg yolk.
5. Add the melted chocolate, the flour mixture and the last whisked items all together.
6. Spread the batter evenly in the slow cooker.
7. In a medium bowl whisk together the remaining sugar (white and brown), cocoa, and hot water, until the sugar is dissolved.
8. Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker.
9. Cover and cook on high for 1-2 hours.
10. Even when the cake is done it will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate. You will know when the cake is ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot.
11. When it is done, turn off the power and remove the lid (be careful not to let condensed steam from the lid drop onto the cake). Let cool for 25 minutes.
12. Serve with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream.